Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 3 San Jose

I should mention again, that I'm trying to take it very slow having the kids with me. My plans are flexible and I mostly have a late start due to either nap times of Sasha, Max taking his time or just me being not quiet ready to conquer the outside world too early in the morning.
I found myself leaving the B&B around noon and returning around 4pm, when the rain mostly sets in. By then I'm anyway tired due to different reasons and it is very nice to return to your temporary home especially if it is that welcoming.
Our host Patricia with Sasha

On our way to San Jose, which is only around 7 km away, we, of course, got lost again. After driving lots of kilometers without any signs into the wrong direction, I ended up in a Dead End Street. The kilometers of driving showed me lots of different sides of Costa Rica. I still don't know where I went and how I got out but I certainly haven't seen this kind of life before. It is the first time for me being in a Latin American country and I knew that Costa Rica will have different faces but it is different to actually face them.
What impressed me the most were the abundant number of crazy motorcycle drivers without helmets managing the pot holes better than me with a car. The honking of any kind of vehicles starts a millisecond after the light turns green. I don't worry about it anymore as I either start driving anyway or they find a crazy way around you. I'm waiting for this one stunt where somebody actually jumps over my car ;-)
Another, rather choking, thing were the amount of young females being pregnant. You won't see really any couples on the street in those poor areas. You see women being by themselves as well as men doing their thing. Lots of babies and young children being carried around by their Mamas. I feel stupid having this big, american Bob Stroller in the back of my car which would look like a small car to them. I do not even bother bringing it out and use my Baby Bjorn instead.
They do have condoms here but I guess they don't use them. The average age of a pregnant woman is 18. Damn. That was the case in East Germany. Lots of young, single mums too.
 Lots of trash was surrounding the areas and people were stepping over it as it would be just part of their day. Of course, I did not dare to leave the car until I found myself magically put back to the big stadium, I knew from the other day when I got lost. And now I knew where to go from there. I think, I have a little fairy watching over my shoulder and I was greatful to whatever luck brought me back to the known Stadium. All Max said: "Not again Mama. Why are we lost again?". Easy question to answer. THERE ARE NO SIGNS HERE ;-)

The rest of the afternoon was much easier and actually really pleasant. San Jose is not a beautiful town by all means. It's interesting as an American would put it which actually means (and I'm only repeating what I've learned): I'm not sure if I like it or not.
Anyway, we had a good time. We found a public parking for 900 colones per hour (pretty expensive) which is almost $2 but it was guarded and safe to leave the car there. We started walking through Avenida Central which is the main shopping street. It's for a big part a car free zone which is being filled by lots of Costa Ricans and maybe a few tourists. If you are a shoe lover, you certainly have the chance to find one, two or three pairs. Max wanted a pair of Flip Flops which we got for $3 and I got myself a pair of Sandles for $22. Definitely cheaper than US.


After shopping we went over to the Teatro Nacional which is a beautiful old Theatre from 1890 which got distroyed once in 1964 when the Volcano Irazu errupted and covered the whole city with its ash and Lava. The old buildings of the city are still beautiful but the newer ones do destroy the picture of San Jose unfortunately.
Teatro Nacional from 1890
Cafe inside of Teatro Nacional. Beautiful.

As a relaxing part, we went to the Grand Hotel across from the Theatre to have a coffee and a Pizza for Max. How relaxing. I guess a little bit of luxury in between calms the spoiled heart of mine and the coffee and Pizza were good!

Max at the Grand Hotel Cafe

Green Coffee Beans

Red Coffee Beans

Grand Hotel Cafe

We did manage to get a prepaid Phone card. All you need is either an unlocked phone from the US or you buy the cheapest one for $50. You need your passport and a address where you stay. You can buy any amount you'd like. The prepaid card lets you make and receive calls from the US.
Movitech next to the Grand Hotel has prepaid cards

On our way back we board bread and 3 Avocados for dinner. Our dinner price was almost 1000 colones = $2 for two people. Nice and yummy ;-)

Yummy. 3 Avocados for $1. Organic!

The nice afternoon was followed by a heavy down pour which Max used to dance in the garden of our B&B and a Glass of wine for me. Sasha was happy with some cereal and carrots.
My little carrier for Sashi

Max loved this flower

It is getting better every day. On Tuesday we will stay at the following place in Santa Elena/ Monteverde for our Cloud Forest experience: http://www.monteverderusticlodge.com/ ($55 including breakfast and tax).






P.S. Photographer: Max Frisbee

No comments:

Post a Comment